omg stupid bug cost me a partition

William Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Wed May 19 00:08:16 UTC 2010

when i setup my system using the alternate CD, it saw my main hard drive
as sdb, i setup on that hard drive a boot partition, an encrypted root
partition, and a 2 GB encrypted swap partition using random key on every
boot.
on the other hard drive, which was detected by alternate CD as sda, i
had my home partition, a partition for various stuff, and my backup
partition, none encrypted, though my home directory is using ecryptfs.
the third hard drive is an old IDE drive, detected as sdc, with 1
partition for other types of backup.
upon booting, the system detected my main as sda, and other as sdb.
since initramfs contains a copy of crypttab which lists my root
partition as UUID, this creates no problem... but what i didn't notice,
is that crypttab lists the swap partition as a device node, namely,
/dev/sdb3, as it was configured with the CD... just 2 hours ago, i
decide to mount my backup partition and start restoring my files, to
notice that my 60 GB partition has been mounted as swap over the past
few days, and i lost all my backups. i am NOT happy.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems