Problem setting up printers in Lucid

pkaplan1 at comcast.net pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Mon May 17 20:19:25 UTC 2010

When selecting Printer Configuration in Karmic and then New Network Printer, I was presented with a list of printers on my LAN each of which had the printer model and its TCP/IP address (on our LAN it would be 10.2.92.xxx) as in:

HP Color LaserJet 4700 (10.2.92.201)
HP Color LaserJet 4700 (10.2.92.203)
RICOH Aficio MP C2550 (10.2.92.211)
RICOH Aficio MP C2550 (10.2.92.213)

Canon iR C5185-H1 1.2 (10.2.92.202)
Canon iR C5185-H1 1.2 (10.2.92.202)

In Lucid, the parenthetical TCP/IP is replaced sometimes by a cryptic 6 character string in brackets. To the right is a box "Enter Device URI" with a pre-populated entry for each printer as follows.

dnssd://HP%20Color%20LaserJet%204700%20%5B271B88%5D._printer._tcp.local/ (The 6 character string follows the "%5B"). There is no TCP/IP address to be found so I don't know which printer is which.

I can ping the printers by their names or TCP/IP #s, but I have no way of connecting the tabular listing of printers in the new format with the TCP/IP addresses or printer names.

Any ideas how to identify the printers by TCP/IP in the config list without testing each one individually until I hit on the right one?

Paul