screen brightness under lucid

Reinhold Rumberger rrumberger at web.de
Sun May 9 20:33:25 UTC 2010

On Sunday 09 May 2010, pkaplan1 wrote:
> On Sunday, May 09, 2010 13:05 Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> > On Saturday 08 May 2010, pkaplan1 wrote:
> > > I checked this.  PM is configured to set the screen to full
> > > brightness when on AC power (as previously).  Changing these
> > > settings didn't affect the behavior.
> > >
> > > My original description is wrong, however.  The behavior
> > > affects all window managers...whenever I start an X session,
> > > the screen is dimmed to about 50%. Even switching between
> > > running WMs on different virtual terminals causes the screen
> > > to dim to 50%. Does this sound like a driver problem?  I'm
> > > running an ATI M7500 video card, but I didn't notice the
> > > behavior with the LiveCD?? Paul
> >
> > My Dell's BIOS has an option for screen brightness that has a
> > similar effect. It seems to confuse whatever is responsible for
> > setting the screen's brightness. It seems that some sort of
> > default brightness is stored at boot time and restored whenever
> > the screen is switched back on. I haven't found a fix for this
> > yet, and it hasn't bothered me enough to search particularly
> > hard...
>
> What kind of video card do you have, more precisely, which driver
> are you using.  I'm leaning towards a bug in the ati driver that
> plays badly with the lucid kernel.
> Paul

I have an intel card, but then my problem has been around since
Jaunty, and the driver has more pressing issues than dimming my
display every now and then.

Now, if I could just figure out what's making my scroll lock behave
erratically and crash my X server whenever I press enter while scroll
lock is active...

  --Reinhold