New 10.4 32 bit install, needs dns info

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Tue May 4 14:49:03 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 9:52 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 02 May 2010, Tom H wrote:
>>On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 4:13 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>
> wrote:

>>> Ok, I'll do that later today.  Thanks.
>>
> And that worked.  I removed NM, started networking, then fixed resolv.conf &
> everything in that regard is now working..
>
>>You're welcome.
>>
>>There are two other options.
>>
>>1. Only configure lo in /etc/network/interfaces and configure your
>>static address and other settings in NM's GUI.
>
> I did try that, but couldn't get it to save my changes.
>
>>2. Configure the static address in /etc/network/interfaces but change
>>the "managed" setting in /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf
>>so you still have NM on your box shozld you need it.
>
> Its gone, just as well.  I've been doing it this way since about 1998. NM has
> always seemed to me to be a half baked solution in search of a problem, and
> if it cannot find a problem, then by golly it will make up one of its own.
> Its been quite good at that on my watch.
>
> Thank you Tom.

You're welcome.

I have tried in the past managing my wired setup myself and my
wireless setup through NM (rather than at the CLI out of sheer
laziness) and it worked well, but anyone who follows at least one
Linux list knows that NM-related problems are frequent... If NM (and
its dos and don'ts) and its configuration (and the location and syntax
of all its config files) were fully documented, there would would far
fewer problems.