New 10.4 32 bit install, needs dns info

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon May 3 01:52:15 UTC 2010

On Sunday 02 May 2010, Tom H wrote:
>On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 4:13 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>
wrote:
>> On Sunday 02 May 2010, Tom H wrote:

>>>If you are not using NM, why don't you uninstall it and hand edit
>>>/etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf (without any need to set
>>>immutable, etc)?
>>
>> Ok, I'll do that later today.  Thanks.

And that worked.  I removed NM, started networking, then fixed resolv.conf &
everything in that regard is now working..

>You're welcome.
>
>There are two other options.
>
>1. Only configure lo in /etc/network/interfaces and configure your
>static address and other settings in NM's GUI.

I did try that, but couldn't get it to save my changes.

>2. Configure the static address in /etc/network/interfaces but change
>the "managed" setting in /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf
>so you still have NM on your box shozld you need it.

Its gone, just as well.  I've been doing it this way since about 1998. NM has
always seemed to me to be a half baked solution in search of a problem, and
if it cannot find a problem, then by golly it will make up one of its own.
Its been quite good at that on my watch.

Thank you Tom.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)