Virtualbox after 10.04 upgrade

Georgi Kourtev gkourtev at gmail.com
Mon May 3 08:57:48 UTC 2010

On Saturday 01 May 2010 18:14:50 D. R. Evans wrote:
> Georgi Kourtev said the following at 04/30/2010 05:33 AM :
> > Hi,
> >
> > After the upgrade my virtaulbox mashine stopped working. While truing to
> > run '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' I got message that the vboxdrv module
> > cannot be unloaded.
> >
> > I tried to remove virtualbox-3.1 as I assumed this might be a kernel
> > problem and aptitude advised me to remove also these packages.
>
> Is there any more news on this problem? I rely on virtualbox and I'm not
> going to move to lucid if there's any chance that virtualbox isn't going to
> work.
>
>   Doc

Well -- different things on two machines.

N1: As i couldn't get to setup the vboxdrv, I had to remove the VB through the
Kpackage, including a bunch of obsolete packages. Rebooted and installed it
again (the karmic 3.1 version is there). Then -- all works fine.

N2. Apparently this machine has kept the old kernels, which I had to remove
with apt-get autoremove. Reboot. Then run vboxdrv setup and the VB resumed
normal operation.
gk