Flashdisk hotplugging with kernel 2.6.32-17 in Karmic

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Tue Mar 30 20:50:53 UTC 2010

On Monday 29 Mar 2010 21:18:19 Steve Morris wrote:
> I have installed this kernel from the Lucid repositories in an effort to
> get sound in Win 7 working after booting from Kubuntu (it works after
> booting the Lucid live cd) which failed but I have encountered other
> problems. When booting Karmic from this kernel the system no longer
> detects an inserted flash disk, but it is detected if I boot Karmic
> using the current Karmic kernel. What needs to be done to raise the
> awareness of this?
>
> regards,
> Steve

I wonder if this has something to do with the deprecation of HAL in Lucid. Karmic is still dependant on HAL for hotplugging so there may be some incompatability when a Luci kernels is used on a Karmic system (although I'm not certain there should be any kernel dependencies for HAL/udev). However, I have no trouble hotplugging USB drives on my Lucid Beta install so I don't think it's a bug, as such.

Mark