New Kubuntu install kernel panicing

Reinhold Rumberger rrumberger at web.de
Mon Mar 29 03:01:07 UTC 2010

On Sunday 28 March 2010, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> A new Kubuntu 9.10 install is kernel panicking(locking up,
> keyboard leds flashing). It happened with the stock KDE 4.3.x and
> with KDE 4.4.1 that I installed from the backports repo. The
> hardware is a Pentuim 4 and 512 GB of RAM. I suspected a RAM
> problem, but memtest found nothing. There does not seem to be
> anything relevant in any logs, and the machine is not
> overheating.

KDE has nothing to do with kernel panics.
Have you tried live CDs, especially ones that include diagnostic
software? Other kernel versions? Maybe one of them will be able to
handle the hardware problem.

You may want to try to unplug everything that you don't need for
booting. If you have built-in graphics, try using those instead of
the card.

Since I don't have any experience with this kind of thing, that's all
the ideas I have for now.

  --Reinhold