Kubuntu/Ubuntu does not remove everything from memory at shutdown

Steve Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Thu Mar 25 22:01:29 UTC 2010

On 24/03/10 12:34, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 March 2010, Steve Morris wrote:
>
>> I have to work around an issue that the
>> live cd is not compatible with my monitor. I have an Acer AL1716
>> flat screen monitor, and when the Karmic live cd loads the
>> desktop I get a black screen with a floating dialogue saying
>> "Input not supported". From memory the only way to fix this is to
>> switch to another tty session, login, and run Xrandr to change
>> the resolution/refresh rate, but I will need to play around.
>>
> Doesn't the live CD have some sort of "safe graphics" mode you can
> choose on boot? That should use some VGA resolution and driver, which
> should be usable with pretty much any monitor&  graphics card
> configuration.
>
>    --Reinhold

Further to my thread on this, I have now downloaded and burnt the cd for
Kubuntu 10.04 beta 1 and, this beta fixes the X desktop incompatibility
with my monitor and rectifies the sound issue with Win 7. The beta is
running kernel 2.6.32-6. Is is possible to update 9.10 to this kernel?
Also when 10.04 comes out how does one upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04
without losing everything that is currently installed? I have a number
of applications that I don't want to have to recover if I can avoid it,
not to mention what is needed to activate my wireless network card which
is not supported by linux.
As I side issue I encountered something that I assume will be fixed in
subsequent releases, when the 10.04 beta boots it displays a boot splash
screen that says "ubuntu" rather than "kubuntu", which was initially
disconcerting to me as it lead me to think I had downloaded the wrong iso.

regards,
Steve