problem tagging files with amarok

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kubuntu.org
Fri Mar 19 13:51:10 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 12:32, Luca Ferrari <fluca1978 at infinito.it> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm running kubuntu updated but I'm experiencing an annoying problem with
> amarok: some files are not tagged as I'd like. Each time I try to edit tags the
> program does not present any error to me but the files keep the same old tags.
> This happens only with a few files, but I'm not finding any motivations, since
> permissions are ok. I've tried to execute the application from the console, to
> see if there was an error showing up, but nothing. Is there a way to get
> information about why the tagging is failing?

Could you maybe start with telling us which exact Amarok version and
KDE version you are using? There have been huge changes sin 2.2.0
which is the default version on Kubuntu 9.10, and Amarok 2.3 has just
been released.

If your version is older, you really should upgrade, as described
here: http://kubuntu.org/news/amarok-2.3.0

If you upgrade from an even older version than 2.2.0, make sure you do
a full collection rescan, followed by a restart, since there were
MySQL version changes in between that can cause a wrong display in the
CollectionBrowser.

If you need to tag more than the occasional file, you should consider
a mass tagging software like kid3, easytag or picard, Amarok is not
meant to be used as a mass-tagging software.

Regards, Myriam.

http://www.fsfe.org