Black screen upon starting up Kubuntu

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Fri Mar 12 01:49:50 UTC 2010

On 03/12/2010 03:59 AM, Keith Clark wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 10:50 +0800, Goh Lip wrote:

>> [1]
>> Boot into recovery, select boot normal, at prompt, login and type either
>> 'sudo kdm start' or 'startx'  (preferably the former)
>>

> 'sudo kdm start' results in 'sudo: kdm: command not found'
> 'startx' results in Ubuntu starting, not Kubuntu.

It means that you have gnome as default and 'sudo gdm start' will work,
but will start gnome desktop.

> That should have been installed with the rest of the KDE package, no?  I
> installed it and still a black screen as before.

To get kubuntu, at prompt, 'sudo install kubuntu-desktop'

>> [2]
>> At blank screen (after attempting to boot as usual), press
>> 'alt' + 'ctl' + 'prt scr' + 'k'
>>

> Does nothing on my machine.

In some computers, need to press a couple of times, maybe more.
Make sure you get all 4 keys at same time.

>> Booting into older kernel (2.6.32-15-generic) isn't a problem.
>> (and wait for further upgrades to sort this out)

> This also does not work.  Same blank screen.

Works on mine.

Dotan wrote:
> To everybody who is posting about similar issues: please find the bug
> and comment on it. Failing that, file the bug! That is why you use
> 10.04, right? To file bugs?

Yes, sir! You're right. Fully agree. Last time on some alpha, I had same
problem and filed bug. However, noted that the developers are fully
aware even before the new upgrade that caused this problem came up. Also
they usually handle the gnome desktop first before tackling the kde
desktop, much later. But, yes, should still file bug.

Regards - Goh Lip