Black screen upon starting up Kubuntu

Reinhold Rumberger rrumberger at web.de
Fri Mar 12 01:18:40 UTC 2010

On Friday 12 March 2010, Keith Clark wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 01:19 +0100, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:

> > > This results in 'start:  Unknown job:  kdm'
> >
> > That kinda implies that you don't have kdm installed...
> > Do you?
>
> That should have been installed with the rest of the KDE package,
> no?

Yeah, well, what do you expect from an alpha... :-)
Have you made sure that the kubuntu-desktop package is installed? It
sometimes is in the way of an upgrade and get uninstalled
automatically.

> I installed it and still a black screen as before.

Can you verify that the X server is running? Have you looked in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old to see whether there
are any errors/crashes?

What used to help me when kdm wouldn't start properly was to manually
issue "sudo stop kdm", making sure that no more X servers were active
and then issuing "sudo start kdm". When the X server wouldn't start,
there would usually be a log entry stating that a lock file was
found.

HTH

  --Reinhold