how can we make Linux more accessible for a bigger public?

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 3 05:16:25 UTC 2010

On 03/06/10 07:58, Bas Roufs wrote:
> Hello Jack and Everybody
>

>>> ........................... So, please, could you tell a bit more concretely how you did
>>> manage to change the OpenOffice settings with a view to automatically saving>>  in the MS Office formats.
>>>
>> Go to Tools>  Options and then click expand the Load/Save section. Here
>> you will see the General section. In that section look at the Document
>> Type/Always Save As drop-downs. You simply select the document type (Text
>> document, HTML document, Spreadsheet, Presentation...) and match it with
>> the default save as type you want (You will probably want Microsoft
>> Word/Excel/Powerpoint option.
>>
>> Once you have configured those, click OK and you're done.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
> Yes, this helps absolutely. Problem solved!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bas.

But also be aware that this may not completely cure the problem: as I
understood it, OpenOffice uses translation tables to reformat into MS
Word which means that the translation may not always work as required.

BC

--
Attorney:   Are you qualified to give a urine sample?
Witness:    Are you qualified to ask that question?