how can we make Linux more accessible for a bigger public?

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 10:14:13 UTC 2010

Hello Everybody

(snip)

>>> Type/Always Save As drop-downs. You simply select the document type (Text
>>> document, HTML document, Spreadsheet, Presentation...) and match it with
>>> the default save as type you want (You will probably want Microsoft
>>> Word/Excel/Powerpoint option.
>>>
>>> Once you have configured those, click OK and you're done.
>>>
>>> Hope that helps.
>>>
>> Yes, this helps absolutely. Problem solved! ..... (snip)

> But also be aware that this may not completely cure the problem: as I
> understood it, OpenOffice uses translation tables to reformat into MS
> Word which means that the translation may not always work as required.

This might be true in a limited number of cases. But in most of the
cases, those "translation tables" seem to work sufficiently well -
even complicated functions like comments and corrections can be used
cross-platform. I nearly daily convert and exchange sometimes
complicated documents with clients and partners cross-platform. I
successfully do so ever since late 2007. The only aspect that is new
to me is the possibility to automate the save-as function.

Respectfully yours,

Bas.