Download Speed with Kubuntu Karmic 64bit

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 31 17:25:28 UTC 2010

On Friday 29 January 2010 10:52:07 pm Goh Lip wrote:
> On 01/30/2010 12:23 AM, Steven Vollom wrote:
> > I believe I read all the various options without success.  Do you think
> > the progress bar that shows from the panel is a KDE item or perhaps
> > Kubuntu Karmic or perhaps someone who created a plazmoid?  I would like
> > to ask the correct creator about this.  Thanks!
>
> Steven, this is not a plasmoid, but may come useful if you need to check
> download/upload network speed, ram usage and memory.
>
> Menu --> System --> System Monitor
>
> regards - goh lip

Dear Goh Lip,

There is an excellent plasmoid for monitoring network rates.  I use it all the
time.  My desire is to get back the transfer rates, real-time and using
numbers, preferably kpbs.  When the progress bar used to appear, it included
those statistics.  it would only open briefly, however by clicking on the icon
with the " i " in the center, it would re-appear and remain for the balance of
the transfer.

Although I have not used Ksysguard much in the past, I has useful information
that I am pursuing.  Thanks for the reference.  On the System Load tab, the
colors do not show very well, however on the darkest blue setting for a
background, the colors used are easily distinguishable.  Network History
colors cannot be changed without crashing the application.  When that happens
you lose your settings in  CPU History and Memory and Swap History.  Still,
the yellow color on a white background is a strain to view.  It seems to be a
bug not worth fixing.  Lots of reports without action on that issue.  My
plasmoid for network history works fine - even better - anyway.

Nice to hear from you, my friend.

Steven