ISO size breakdown? ISO diff?

Amedee Van Gasse amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Sat Jan 23 18:03:02 UTC 2010

On 21-01-10 09:28, giovanni_re wrote:

> Er, no Amedee - not between #'d _versions_, but between, Ub&  KUb
> ISOs for the _same_ version: ex, 9.10 U&  KU ISOs.
>
> Basically, the only difference should be the GUI. What % of the ISO
> is the GUI? 5%? 10%? 20%
>
> Point: If a person already has one ISO, they should be able to just
> get the diff to the other,&  that should (I'm guessing) be only about
> 10% of 700MB - a BIG savings in download MB, especially for slower
> net connections.

No. I'm not going to do it again. You do it yourself, you should know
how by now.

Anyway, my arguments still apply. Too many headaches. Ubuntu needs to be
simple.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

If you want advanced stuff, then you probably aren't an Ubuntu user,
Debian may be better for you.

> ===== NEXT STEP FORWARD: PARTIAL ISO DOWNLOAD&  COMBINE SYSTEM
> Moreover, to take this idea to its next productive level, one could
> have a _system_ that enables creating different sized ISOs - to save
> dl&  install times.
>
> Ex: 1) Basic ISO parts: kernel, shell, networking, basic stuff. Maybe
> 200MB 2) GUI This might be 200MB. 3) Application sw: this might be
> 300 MB
>
> Then, you have tools to dl&  put together an ISO from these 3 parts.
> Everyone dls the Basic set.  Everyone dl's _one_ of the 2 GUI sets: G
> or K.  Optionally, people dl the applications.
>
> This would reduce ISO dl size totals.  It saves data transmission,&
> is more convenient for slow net connection users. :)

If you really really want to save on downloads, then don't download an
iso at all. Do a netinstall. I don't know/care if this is
documented/supported for Ubuntu, but Debian has detailed documentation
to help you on your way.

Anyway, if Canonical Ltd. decides that they only provide full ISO's,
then it is only full ISO's that you will get. If you want another
distribution method, you are free to build it yourself. But I doubt that
anyone will use it.

Now I am wondering if you asked your question out of intellectual
curiosity, or were you really thinking about a practical application? I
am not a native English speaker so please make that clear. If it's just
your curiosity that has to be satisfied, then I think you already have
an answer.

--
Amedee