ISO size breakdown? ISO diff?

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Fri Jan 22 01:11:29 UTC 2010

On Thursday 21 January 2010 05:58:21 pm Carlo Vanini wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 9:28 AM, giovanni_re wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> >> amedee at intrepid:~$ cd download/
> >> amedee at intrepid:~/download$ wget
> >> http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/ubuntu-releases/karmic/ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386
> >>.iso
> >> http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/ubuntu-releases/jaunty/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386
> >>.iso --2010-01-20 13:42:17--
> >> http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/ubuntu-releases/karmic/ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386
> >>.iso
> >
> > Er, no Amedee - not between #'d _versions_, but between, Ub & KUb ISOs
> > for the _same_ version: ex, 9.10 U & KU ISOs.
> >
> > Basically, the only difference should be the GUI. What % of the ISO is
> > the GUI? 5%? 10%? 20%
> >
> > Point: If a person already has one ISO, they should be able to just get
> > the diff to the other, & that should (I'm guessing) be only about 10% of
> > 700MB - a BIG savings in download MB, especially for slower net
> > connections.
> >
> > [...]
>
> if I got it right, what you describe is Debian's jigdo[1].
> You may want to look at the FAQ[2] to better understand what it is, in
> particular point 2.2 should be of interest.
>

> [1] http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/
> [2] http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Debian-Jigdo/
>

> --
> Carlo

You can use rsync (or more preferably zsync) to update the iso images, but
that is more geared towards those testing out the daily builds during the
development cycle.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RsyncCdImage

To be honest there is so much that  is different between releases in terms of
files, bits and bytes, that you probably would be downloading closer to 75% of
the image. To test this, take a Karmic image and rename it to match a Lucid
image's file name, and then try using zsync to update the newly-renamed lucid
image.

I just did so, and it needs to download 78%. As Lucid development moves on, it
could get higher

I am  sure if this was relatively easy to accomplish, it would already be
looked into or implemented.
--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net