dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg question

Steve yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 17 15:57:09 UTC 2010

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:43:53 -0000, Gene Heskett
<gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:

> Greetings all;
>
> I have a kubuntu-6.06 LTS machine running my milling machine that
> occasionally needs maintenance, such as for a failed Antec power supply.
>
> Yeah, I know, why did I buy that brand?  Cuz I was a dummy, plain &
> simple.
>
> Anyway, while working on it I had it hooked to a 20" crt monitor, and the
> subject command line gave me a stunningly good 1920x12xx display on that
> crt.
> One of the things I was playing with was the video card as the old TNT
> in it
> was looking like a bad solder joint, streaks on the right side of a
> 1050x720
> screen.  So I thought great!  This was by using the digital to vga
> adapter
> that came with the x1650 Pro agp video card and I was happy as I'd
> finally
> found a motherboard that could run this card, the card is one picky bitch
> about its agp socket.
>
> On the way back to its normal job, I plugged in a samsung hidef 22" tv
> which
> has a db15 input and which works very well on another machine with 8.04
> LTS
> on it.  Its native mode is also 1920xsomething with a 16x9 aspect ratio.
>
> The 6.06 LTS install couldn't drive it without re-running the subject
> line &
> came up with a 800x600 screen that was pretty badly rendered on that much
> higher resolution lcd display.  As its normal 17" samsung crt monitor is
> also
> similarly crippled when using the vesa driver (I forgot, that is a
> requirement of the application, vesa is the only driver that doesn't
> seriously muck with the real time performance), so my question after all
> this
> rambling is:
>
> Is there a place where I can force the issue?  I feel its probably
> occurring
> because the EDID database is too old for either of the monitors it miss-
> drives.  They are not listed when the gui tool is used.
>
>  I know that smaller 17" samsung monitor can be driven at something in
> the
> over 1400 pixels wide mode by the makers worthless proprietary drivers.
> An
> 800x600 screen sucks the big #1 for this app.  Particularly when I know
> this
> card and either monitor are capable of much much better performance while
> still running the vesa driver.

You’ll probably have to edit xorg.conf
You’ll need to put in the horiz and vert frequencies for the monitor you
intend to use and add the resolution to the list of resolutions.
I know this is a bit vague but, it’s awhile since I’ve done this.
Hope this points you in the right direction, if not just a shout and Ill
try to dig my old notes out.

--
Steve