help with "grub rescue"

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Sun Jan 10 12:46:01 UTC 2010

On 01/10/2010 08:18 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
> On 01/10/2010 04:46 PM, uriah heep wrote:
>> I had a triple boot setup with xp, win 7, and kubuntu 9.10 all on
>> seperate partitions. the win 7 partition became corrupt and while in xp
>> i formatted that partition in ntfs as I needed the space for work
>> anyway.  upon reboot I get a grub error then the line grub rescue. ls
>> reveals the 3 partitions.  What do I do to get grub to give me the
>> options of xp and 9.10?  I have started reading up on grub but I am
>> afraid I will screw up and I need the data for work.
>>

> At grub prompt type
> configfile (hd0,x)/boot/grub/grub.cfg    {(hd0,x) is partition of 9.10}
>
> When booted into 9.10, at terminal
> sudo grub-install /dev/sda

If you cannot go to normal grub mode, do this....

grub rescue> set prefix=(hd0,x)/boot/grub
grub rescue> insmod (hd0,x)/boot/grub/normal.mod
rescue:grub> normal

If still fails...boot up live cd...

at terminal...
sudo grub-setup -d /media/{kubuntu9.10partition}/boot/grub /dev/sda

substitute /media/{kubuntu9.10partition} with actual partition :)

If you get error message,(mapping fails), do this..

sudo grub-setup -d /media/{kubuntu9.10partition}/boot/grub -m
/media/{kubuntu9.10partition}/boot/grub/device.map /dev/sda

Regards,
Goh Lip