Small Cashew and Panel are missing.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 4 01:00:14 UTC 2010

On Sunday 03 January 2010 02:42:35 pm Clay Weber wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
> > How do I restore the panel and small cashew to my desktop?
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Steven
>
> Right-click on your desktop somewhere, select "add widgets" and then
> from their look for 'Panel" and add it like any other plasma widget. The
> 'cashew' is part of the panel
>

> clay
Thanks for the reply, Clay.

I have sort of restored things a bit and can use plasma again, however, I
always have used the top of the desktop for the panel.  Additionally, I have
always started the menu and icons on the upper right of the desktop.  When
things were normal, both the small cashew and the large cashew were located on
the upper right corner of the desktop.

Now, I again have the panel on the upper screen, however, I am unable to move
the icone to the upper right on the desktop like I am used to having them.
They just won't move and stay there, like before.  Also, the small cashew
won't move to the upper right corner.  When I attempt that, it is completely
hidden.  The only way I have been able to use it is to put the small icon on
the lower right corner of the desktop.

After getting to this point, I used to place my cursor in the upper left
corner to make the open applications appear uncluttered.  I had to move that
feature to the upper right corner of the desktop to be able to keep from
opening the K menu when wanting to bring the apps to the surface.  It is
working and I will probably get used to it eventually, but the reason for
having the menu and icons on the upper right is because being right handed, it
is the best place to have them without crossing over other work with the
cursor.  Additionally, having the upper left corner as the point to surface
the open applications did not require even seeing the cursor to move it.  It
was just a swift move to the left and up.

I really hate to trouble anyone for something like this, because there are
acceptable work-arounds, but it was much better for me before.  I thought
perhaps there was some application that could be removed and installed again
to solve the problem.  I tried that with '.kde' but it did not change
anything.

This will probably sound a bit naive and silly, but I recently added a WebCam,
Logitech 9000, to make communication with my grandchildren more pleasurable.
Could that have created the problem somehow?  Also, it doesn't work perfectly;
it plays the video in slow and lagging motion.  I am certain it should work at
32 fps, or realtime.

Somewhere in a past memory of reading a post that did not relate to me, I seem
to remember a CLI entry that caused a WebCam to use the memory and
capabilities directly from the video card.  As I recall, it solved that
person's problem.  I didn't save the note, because I did not have a WebCam and
don't remember the wording.  Do you know anything about that?

I am not trying to add or change the post; I thought maybe the installation of
the WebCam might be causing the Plasma problem.  It doesn't really seem
logical to me, but I am not able to see the logic sometimes.  It is the only
new thing I have added or done in months.

Thanks for any help.  Sorry for the long post.

Steven