No desk top computer?

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 23:28:39 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Neil Winchurst <barnaby at drofle.com> wrote:
> We have lived in a fairly small house for over 7 years now. It was quite
> big enough for us, but we now seem to have acquired three grandchildren.
>  I use one of the bedrooms as a study where I have my desktop computer.
> With all the bits and pieces it takes up quite a lot of room so there is
> a bit of a palaver when we have visitors. Hints have been dropped!!
>
> So I am wondering about replacing the desktop with a (good sized) laptop
> computer. This leads me on to wonder if any list members do not use a
> desk top at all, and rely on a laptop only. Anyone? Anything to consider
> if I go down that route?

It sounds like buying a laptop would be spending a lot of money to
solve an intermittent issue.  You'd be better off finding a small
desktop and moving it to another room when the need arises.

I recently bought my parents computers from zareason.com.  They are
quite small (so not very expandable, but neither is a laptop) and
zareason will put Linux on it for you.  They are also much quiter than
any computer in a tower case I've ever seen.

My mom was thrilled because it fit into such a small area, but it had
an external screen, so it didn't strain her eyes like a laptop would.

Michael