Open Office upgrade??

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 02:29:55 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 20:17 +0000, Chris Jones wrote:

> > Why is that?? Karmic destroys my sound system, which works just fine,
> > for now.
>
> Stability. Ubuntu choose to not do major updates to packages during the lifetime of a particular release. So whilst they will patch major security issues to OO 3.0 in jaunty, it won't see a major update. If you want a major version update, update your OS from jaunty ...
>
> ... There are more cutting edge distros out there that will do this if you prefer, but there is always a balance between stability and being on the cutting edge. You cannot have both.
>
> Chris

I'm not sure I follow. Is there some significant upgrade to c++ or
something like a core library that requires a dist upgrade? Or, cannot
just something like the Open Office package be upgraded by itself?? I
went through the entire beta cycle of karmic and wound up not liking it.
Some core parts to alsa-utils were removed and it caused me problems. I
certainly don't want pulse installed. I just happen to like having sound
work.

If you read my remark about Fedora and NOT liking cutting edge, for that
reason you wouldn't be quick to recommend that. I just want solid. I
have devel work that doesn't need to be upset. Check my Linux User #,
I've been to a county fair, a rodeo and something else, which I just
forgot. Old timers, Owell ...  Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987