Deleted system tray

Alan Dacey Sr. grokit at ajinfosearch.com
Wed Feb 10 05:32:15 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 09 February 2010 10:58:04 pm Howard Goforth wrote:
> I inadvertently deleted my system tray? I know I could reinstall Kubuntu,
>  but I want to keep all my bookmarks and emails. Is there a relatively easy
>  way to restore the tray?
>
> Thank you for your advice

First unlock your widgets by right-clicking on the desktop and choosing unlock
widgets.  By the way, this is for KDE4, I kind of forgot how to do it in KDE3
but I think it is fairly similar.

If it is just your system tray then click on the little cashew on the right of
the panel, choose add widgets and drag the system tray where you want it.

If you are talking about the thing that holds your system tray, the clock,
desktops, open programs, etc - that is called a panel.  Since you have already
unlocked your widgets, right-click on the desktop again and choose add panel.
Then add all the widgets you want to it the same way as above.  I have Digital
Clock, Lancelot (I like it better than Application Launcher), Pager, Show
Desktop, System Tray, Task Manager, and some icons I dropped in from my menu,

You really don't need to re-install everything for something like that, but if
you want to start all over from the default configuration you could always
rename the hidden .kde folder, log out and then log back in.  It will re-
create .kde from scratch.  That's a bit much for this problem though :)
The .kde folder lives in your home folder, so if your user name is howard, it
would be at "/home/howard/.kde" (without the quotes).

--
Alan

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not
to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the
Constitution."
Abraham Lincoln