questions

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 08:24:39 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 February 2010, Ahmad Abou el-naga wrote:
>>I recently tried Kubuntu through windows(wubi) and I want to permanently
>> install it but i have some questions please,
>>
>>1-when it was installing through wubu it came to the part of installing
>> apps.(80%) and gave an error so i skipped 2-should I convert the file
>> system to ext3 or ext4 and NTFS is not possible? 3 If I did this file
>> system conversion or format will I loose anything If I did applied this to
>> a separate drive other than that which has all the needed data and the
>> drive for windows?
>>
>>thanks in advance :)
>
> The separate drive is nice, and quite doable..  As far as the windows portion
> of a drive, it should be 'defragged' using the windows tool to do that, and
> the last time I saw it, it gave you a visual map showing the free area of the
> drive.  Using a partitioning tool, shrink the windows portion so there is a
> little room left for windows to wiggle in, and then make 2 new partitions on
> the inner portion of the disk for linux, using all but a gigabyte or so for
> an ext3 filesystem, and the last gigabyte as 'swap' space, which linux will
> use as additional memory by paging it in and out so a 1Gb machine looks like
> a 2Gb machine.  Likewise a 4Gb machine needs about 4Gb of swap, but won't use
> it quite as often.
>
> Or you can do all the partitioning on a second (third,forth etc) drive.  I
> have 4 1Tb drives here, all of them bootable to various flavors of linux.
>
> The limits are your hardware budget and imagination.  The latter is usually
> free. ;-)
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene

Before doing all that, it might be a good idea do go through the
windows stuff and delete all that you don't need so that you have more
free room and if you intend to keep using windows them make sure to
leave windows enough room for the storage space you will need in the
future.

To be honest, if you have any free money at all and live in some place
like the USA, go buy an extra drive. You can get them for very little
money and thus save yourself a lot of head aches. I saw a 1TB drive
for 70$ USD and you can find 50GB drives for under 20$.

If you get out and hunt you can find one at a dump for free. Also
don't forget that old computer in the closet. It will likely run
faster that your current system, if you load it with Xubuntu or
something like Tiny Core Linux.

Using a command line system of Tiny Core, you can make your 20 year
old IBM PC do the work of a modern desktop for most office work but
don't expect Firefox to work. Do expect it to be able to do email
without pictures, text editing and accounting.

What are the minimum requirements of TC and MC(MC has no  desktop just
CLI but you can do a lot with that if you are willing to learn.)?

An absolute minimum of RAM is 48mb. TC won't boot with anything less,
no matter how many terabytes of swap you have.
Microcore runs with 36mb of ram.
The minimum cpu is i486DX (486 with a math processor).

A recommended configuration:
Pentium 2 or better, 128mb of ram + some swap

Minimum system requirements Xubuntu

You need 192 MB RAM to run the Live CD or 128 MB RAM to install. The
Alternate Install CD only requires you to have 64 MB RAM at install
time.

To install Xubuntu, you need 2.0 GB of free space on your hard disk.

Once installed, Xubuntu can run with starting from 192 (or even just
128) MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended to have at least 256 MB
RAM.

Bare Minimum requirements Ubuntu

It should be possible to get Ubuntu running on a system with the
following minimum hardware specification, although it is unlikely that
the system would run well. You should use the Alternate install CD to
attempt such an installation.

    * 300 MHz x86 processor
    * 64 MB of system memory (RAM)
    * At least 4 GB of disk space (for full installation and swap space)
    * VGA graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution
    * CD-ROM drive or network card

Recommended minimum requirements

Ubuntu should run reasonably well on a computer with the following
minimum hardware specification. However, features such as visual
effects may not run smoothly.

    * 700 MHz x86 processor
    * 384 MB of system memory (RAM)
    * 8 GB of disk space
    * Graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution
    *

      Sound card
    *

      A network or Internet connection

Could not find the requirements for Kubuntu but I know it failed on my
laptop with 512mb Ram.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.