Cropped Display

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Sun Feb 7 23:33:22 UTC 2010

On Sunday 07 February 2010 02:58:07 pm dael at dael.de wrote:
> Hello
>
> I want to install kubuntu on my media pc and tried the recent live cd.
> The Desktop started properly but the screen configuration seems to be
> wrong. Display is a TV with resolution 1360*768 60Hz via HDMI, kubuntu
> sets the right resolution the refresh rate is 59.8Hz, maybe this is
> also right?!
>
> The problem is that the Desktop seems to be on the wrong position on
> the screen, the right quarter of the screen is black and on the left
> side the desktop is cropped.
>
> Any Ideas? If possible I want to fix this with the live CD before
> installiung on hard disk.
>
> Thanks
> Daniel

As it is a TV, it probably isn't giving your pc the correct info it needs to
set the proper resolution. You probably are going to have to manually set up
an xorg.conf file. You may need to search around using  your tv as a reference.
I had a heck of a time doing this on my Vizio 32" TV to get it's native
1366x768 to work with fglrx and audio vis HDMI.

You probably won't fix it on the livecd, but if you did,  you would still have
to set it up after installing anyway. Have  you tried opening the monitor
configuration tool in System Settings to see if there is another resolution
that may be 'close' to get you a usable screen?

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net