Thunderbird 3.1a1PRE

Tom Bell cbell44 at cfl.rr.com
Sun Feb 7 04:39:57 UTC 2010

Clay Weber wrote:
> On Saturday 06 February 2010 10:18:28 pm Tom Bell wrote:
>
>>  I checked the KPackageKit program and upgraded to Thunderbird
>> 3.1.whatever.  It is shown as Shredder 3.1a1PRE and none of the
>> extensions for Thunderbird work with it.  I am curious if this KDE's way
>> of sabotaging users of Thunderbird.
>>
> That's a bit far-fetched, to say the least.
>
> If I recall , a number of Thunderbird's 2.0 extensions don't yet work with 3.0
> stable, let alone  the very alpha 3.1 you seem to have.
>

>> When I try to check on addons it
>> takes me to the normal Thunderbird page for addons.  There is nothing
>> there that is compatible with this version of Thunderbird if it is a
>> version of Thunderbird.
>>
> Even the development version of Kubuntu uses Thunderbird 2.0, so how an early
> development version got into your package list can only be from something you
> added, perhaps some external repository or PPA archive.
>

>> There doesn't seem to be a middle ground between the 2.0 version I had
>> and the new 3.1a1PRE.
>>
> The 3.0 final would be that middle ground, but you would still need to add a
> ppa repo to get that, or manually install it.
>

>> Maybe I missed something along the way, but
>> currently I can not find a version somewhere between the two in the
>> sources.  As far as I am aware, I don't use any development sources in
>> the repositories.
>>

> You must have some repository added that contains this. If  you remove this
> entry, you should be able to uninstall 3.1, and at least get back to 2.0. You
> also might want to see if there is a 3.0 or 2.0 version listed as well (before
> removing the reoo) as quite Thunderbird (and Firefox) packages are designed to
> run alongside the older versions for testing purposes
>

>> Suggestions???
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Tom

Yes, thanks.  I just uninstalled it as the problem is ongoing in the
development.  I will have a look at my repository settings.
Thanks again!

Tom

--
 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  -- Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis (Juvenal), Roman Poet, late 1st, early 2nd century AD
("Who will protect us from the protectors?")