Thunderbird 3.1a1PRE

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Sun Feb 7 04:07:47 UTC 2010

On Saturday 06 February 2010 10:18:28 pm Tom Bell wrote:
>  I checked the KPackageKit program and upgraded to Thunderbird
> 3.1.whatever.  It is shown as Shredder 3.1a1PRE and none of the
> extensions for Thunderbird work with it.  I am curious if this KDE's way
> of sabotaging users of Thunderbird.
That's a bit far-fetched, to say the least.

If I recall , a number of Thunderbird's 2.0 extensions don't yet work with 3.0
stable, let alone  the very alpha 3.1 you seem to have.

> When I try to check on addons it
> takes me to the normal Thunderbird page for addons.  There is nothing
> there that is compatible with this version of Thunderbird if it is a
> version of Thunderbird.
Even the development version of Kubuntu uses Thunderbird 2.0, so how an early
development version got into your package list can only be from something you
added, perhaps some external repository or PPA archive.

> There doesn't seem to be a middle ground between the 2.0 version I had
> and the new 3.1a1PRE.
The 3.0 final would be that middle ground, but you would still need to add a
ppa repo to get that, or manually install it.

> Maybe I missed something along the way, but
> currently I can not find a version somewhere between the two in the
> sources.  As far as I am aware, I don't use any development sources in
> the repositories.

You must have some repository added that contains this. If  you remove this
entry, you should be able to uninstall 3.1, and at least get back to 2.0. You
also might want to see if there is a 3.0 or 2.0 version listed as well (before
removing the reoo) as quite Thunderbird (and Firefox) packages are designed to
run alongside the older versions for testing purposes

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net