NVIDIA driver causes kernel freeze

Steve Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Sat Aug 28 00:36:17 UTC 2010

On 27/08/10 21:14, Thomas Olsen wrote:
> Moving the thread from https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-users/2010-
> August/051997.html to ubuntu-users
>
> On Friday 27 August 2010 11:03:31 Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> And then blacklist it if it doesn't work for you?
>>>
>> Well, if you install it yourself from nVidia then there is no need to
>> "blacklist" from the viewpoint that you would need to install the next
>> latest version yourself anyway.
>>
>> However, if you don't want Update Manager to install the next Ubuntu
>> version then use the Synaptic Package Manager to "blacklist" it.

>>> But there isn't a way to uninstall it except by removing the files
>>> manually?
>>>
>> If you installed using Synaptic Package Manager then uninstall with
>> System>Administration>Hardware Drivers>REMOVE the driver.
>>
>> If you compiled it yourself then remove using "rmmod nvidia".
>>
>> One other point: irrespective of which method you use to install/create
>> the nVidia driver, you can disable it by changing the entry in
>> /etc/X11/xorg.conf/Section "Device" to "nv" from "nvidia" - "nvidia" is
>> the compiled driver and the "nv" is the default/basic driver.
>>
> OK. I think I got it now :-)
>
> I decided to give the driver from http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-
> ia32-173.14.27-driver.html a go because the Ubuntu provided drivers didn't
> work for me.
> I logged out of X and ran:
>
> sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.27-pkg1.run
>
> It had some hickups with the kernel sources about missing autoconf.h and
> auto.conf so I reinstalled linux-headers-2.6.32-24-generic and ran "make
> oldconfig && make prepare". Although it complained about "make: *** No rule to
> make target `include/config/auto.conf', needed by
> `include/config/kernel.release'.  Stop." the NVIDIA module compilation seemed
> to work but it complained that it couldn't load the module.
> After some looking around I found out that it wasn't installed at all. I then
> manually copied nvidia.ko from the build dir /tmp/selfgz15653/NVIDIA-Linux-
> x86-173.14.27-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nvidia.ko to first /lib/modules/2.6.32-24-
> generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia/nvidia.ko and then /lib/modules/2.6.32-24-
> generic/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/nvidia/nvidia.ko and tried to modprobe it but
> it couldn't be found.
>
> Now I'm - again - kinda stuck and I'd really like to get away from the nouveau
> driver because using X now feels like swimming in jello (I guess; never tried
> it :)

I used to use the drivers from nvidia a long time ago on a different
linux dist. and as long as the kernel headers were installed the driver
compiled and installed fine. You may need to run an ldconfig after copy
the driver to the modules directory, also a depmod may need to be run
first to build the new list of kernel modules for ldconfig to update the
cache. There is also a log file created from running the upstream
process, I don't remember where it is created but I think the process
says where it has been placed, you may want to have a look at that to
check for errors or additional instructions on any further processes
that may be required.

regards,
Steve