Separate activity for each desktop in 4.5?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 16:35:09 UTC 2010

On Saturday, August 14, 2010 12:33:13 pm Worzel did opine:

> On Friday 13 August 2010 23:33:35 Josh Stephenson wrote:
> > In earlier versions of kde 4 (I can't remember when it started it was
> > probably 4.3)  you could check a box in the activity settings to
> > associate a separate activity for each desktop/workspace. This would
> > allow you to have a separate wallpaper for each desktop.
> >
> > In 4.5, with the introduction of the activity manager, this option
> > seems to have been moved or vanished entirely.  I  can't find a way
> > get more than one wallpaper for all of my workspaces and I can't find
> > a way to merge activities and workspaces.  I personally don't have a
> > need for both workspaces and activities... and while I understand
> > some people do, taking away the other option seems like a regression.
> >
> > Or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.  Does anybody how to
> > achieve what I want to do in 4.5?
>
> No, I believe you're looking in the right place. AFAIK there is no
> direct link between desktops and activities. Multiple desktops share a
> single wallpaper setting but you can 'change' the wallpaper by changing
> activities. I had expected to be able to tie an activity to a specific
> desktop eg I could have an "office" desktop with an activity folder
> view displaying relevant document folders/files.
>
> However, I may also be looking in the wrong place...
>
> Jim

I have the same concern, and I can't even get rid of the plain background
color with a utility i found called ChGb.

If anyone has a line open to the kde folks, this ability to set a different
background on each screen is being sorely missed.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)