Separate activity for each desktop in 4.5?

Worzel catcott at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Aug 14 14:58:44 UTC 2010

On Friday 13 August 2010 23:33:35 Josh Stephenson wrote:
> In earlier versions of kde 4 (I can't remember when it started it was
> probably 4.3)  you could check a box in the activity settings to associate
> a separate activity for each desktop/workspace. This would allow you to
> have a separate wallpaper for each desktop.
>
> In 4.5, with the introduction of the activity manager, this option seems to
> have been moved or vanished entirely.  I  can't find a way get more than
> one wallpaper for all of my workspaces and I can't find a way to merge
> activities and workspaces.  I personally don't have a need for both
> workspaces and activities... and while I understand some people do, taking
> away the other option seems like a regression.
>
> Or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.  Does anybody how to achieve
> what I want to do in 4.5?

No, I believe you're looking in the right place. AFAIK there is no direct link
between desktops and activities. Multiple desktops share a single wallpaper
setting but you can 'change' the wallpaper by changing activities. I had
expected to be able to tie an activity to a specific desktop eg I could have an
"office" desktop with an activity folder view displaying relevant document
folders/files.

However, I may also be looking in the wrong place...

Jim