Kubuntu Lucid Lynx Impressions

Jon Piper JonPiper at cox.net
Tue Apr 20 14:43:20 UTC 2010

Problems:
(1) I attempted to upgrade from 9.10 (64 bit) and it crashed during
download --
message said check internet connection - which had no problem on my end.
(2) The in-place upgrade from 9.10 (64 bit) crashed and left the machine
useless. This laptop has had every version of Kubuntu since 6.06.  I had
to do a
clean install.
(3) sudo didn't work -- gives message "sudo: must be setuid root", without
sudo the system couldn't be updated. Couldn't do anything that required a
password except sign in -- password worked fine there.  I did three
installs and
all had the same problems.  I finally reinstalled 9.10.
(4) Synaptic Package Manager crashes immediately without any error message.
(5) gsynaptic Touchpad crashes without any error message (I hate the
touchpad!).
(6) the utility to adjust the touchpad through System Setting does nothing.
(7) I cannot download any themes or wallpaper.
(8) I got a message everytime I booted: "Could not write bytes-- Broken
pipe".
If this was the only problem I had with Kubuntu Lucid Lynx, wouldn't
worry about
it.

I have one desktop machine with Kubuntu Lucid Lynx (64 bit) that has no
problems.  I really like it.

I've been using linux since 1998 -- so I know it will be fixed -- gooder
than
ever.  I think Kubuntu Lucid Lynx is great -- but not on this machine my
laptop
- yet, but it will be -- somebody has to get the cockroaches out of it
before it
hit the streets.

Blessings,

Jon