Permissions problem Solved)

NW barnaby at drofle.com
Thu Apr 15 17:19:39 UTC 2010

Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2010/4/15 NW <barnaby at drofle.com>:
>> I eventually tracked down the relevant file, /etc/udev/permissions.rules
>> and made the necessary change. On the line referring to the line printer
>> I added the mode change (MODE="0666") and logged out and then in. The
>> permissions on /dev/lp0 are now set as required and the printer works fine.
>
> That's not a solution but a workaround. If CUPS is running as root
> there should not be a problem for it to access a device with 0660
> permission. Have you checked what user and group cups is running as?
> You can do that with the "ps -eo uid,gid,args | grep cups" command
> from a terminal. Also check for errors in the logs?
>
> On my system CUPS is running as user and group root and the permission
> on the printer device is:
> $ ls -lR /dev/ | grep lp
> crw-rw---- 1 root lp        189, 129 2010-04-15 13:32 002
>
> If your CUPS running as same user and group and have same permission
> as I have then thats not the problem.
>
> / Jonas

Well, for the moment the workaround means that I and my daughter can use
the printer without any messing about.

I ran cupsctl in a terminal. Among the information is
user=lp
group=lpadmin

Is that a problem?

Let me repeat, it is not something that I did. The problems started
after an upgrade to cups the other day. Before that it was all working
fine. It is the first problem I have ever had from running the upgrades
that appear from time to time.

Neil