Permissions problem Solved)

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 11:47:09 UTC 2010

2010/4/15 NW <barnaby at drofle.com>:
> I eventually tracked down the relevant file, /etc/udev/permissions.rules
> and made the necessary change. On the line referring to the line printer
> I added the mode change (MODE="0666") and logged out and then in. The
> permissions on /dev/lp0 are now set as required and the printer works fine.

That's not a solution but a workaround. If CUPS is running as root
there should not be a problem for it to access a device with 0660
permission. Have you checked what user and group cups is running as?
You can do that with the "ps -eo uid,gid,args | grep cups" command
from a terminal. Also check for errors in the logs?

On my system CUPS is running as user and group root and the permission
on the printer device is:
$ ls -lR /dev/ | grep lp
crw-rw---- 1 root lp        189, 129 2010-04-15 13:32 002

If your CUPS running as same user and group and have same permission
as I have then thats not the problem.

/ Jonas