Can pulseaudio be gotten rid of?? Karmic...

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 07:32:09 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 08:15 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Envy-NG used to install my nVidia drivers so flawlessly that I used to
> > rib my Fedora buddies about how they were stuck in the dark-ages. I
> > ain't laughing at them any more either. I ain't a Newbie, I used to work
> > for Bob Young at Red Hat, and I've been to a county fair. I had Linux
> > installed before there was a Red Hat, from a stack of floppy disks. I do
> > not want to see Kubuntu become another Fedora, where broken stuff is
> > passed on to the users to beta-test. That is NOT Mark Shuttleworth's
> > "Big Dream", from what I have read. I'm spending what should be an
> > otherwise productive Sunday chasing down a fix for what worked last
> > week. THAT is too much like Fedora, IMHO, which is why I installed
> > Kubuntu. There really needs to be a way to make Pulseaudio an extra, not
> > a system-wide depend. <pants> Ric
> >

> Oh, how I agree with this! Was-working-yesterday issues pushed me from
> Fedora to Kubuntu as well. Looks like it will be Debian next, or maybe
> even Arch if I get the nerve.
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen

Heh, I remember the days when you, Gene and I both haunted the Fedora
list and BEGGED them to just slow down a touch to let us just enjoy
using our systems for useful things, but I finally got it through my
thick skull that they were driven by forces larger than me, as a user.
It was like getting a divorce to swing over to the .deb side. They just
wouldn't listen. I think, from what I've read, that Mark doesn't want us
to leave in disgust, suffering from broken systems with broken
alpha/beta software and telling the world about it. This is not his
dream. Not at all.

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987