Is there some trick installing a .exe file using wine for, Kubuntu 8.04

Bruce MacArthur bmacasuru at fastmail.us
Sat Oct 10 15:18:27 UTC 2009

On Saturday 10 October 2009 05:29:56 am Brian Norman Wootton wrote:
> Re: Is there some trick installing a .exe file using wine for
> 	Kubuntu	8.04

> Kubuntu

> > > When you're in the file manager, press F4, and type it into the box
that
> > > appears at the bottom. Press F4 once you're done to get rid of it
again.

> have you tried to simply double-click the .exe? Wine will
automatically
> try to run it if it can. I think, in my opinion, that if a windows app
> won't open or install that way, it will most likely be too much of a
> hassle to try to get running. If you are super lucky, wine will even
> create menu entries for the app (even if it doesn't run sometimes)
clay.

> -------------------
> I've got 9.04 on a 64b AMD.
>
> I have tried all the suggested variations, all produce the same
symptoms:
> on the console:
>
> $wine /media/cdrom0/setup.exe
>
> gives me a pop-up:
> MDAC was updated. Your system will reboot to complete the update.
After
> your system
> reboots setup.exe will continue.
> when I click OK in the pop-up, I get multiple
>
> fixme:odbc:SQLRemoveDriveManager
>
> on the console - the whole thing is in an continuous loop, Only way
out
> is Cont-C, kill -9 blah,
> or reboot. I tried rebooting myself as the pop-up was lying, but no
good
> - still the same
> continuous loop after the wine ... command.
> Any clues? or should I just forget it, as Clay says - or is there a
> simple fix for simpleton
> like me?
> brian

It is well known that wine is NOT able to run ALL win-doze applications.
Perhaps you are looking at one of those which it simply can NOT run.
The only way to "have your kate and edith too" is through
virtualization. VirtualBox is an open-source option; VMWare is a
proprietary or commercial option.

Bruce   Mac Arthur
15875 Switzer
Overland Park, KS  66221