forcing use of vesa driver for x ??

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Oct 9 20:56:07 UTC 2009

On Friday 09 October 2009, David Kuntadi wrote:
>On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 12:25 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>
wrote:
>> How can I restore these two boxes to using the vesa driver, AND prevent X
>> from overwriting these xorg.conf's to suit itself?
>
>I suggest just to remove whatever driver you does not want, and then
>rewrite xorg.conf. By doing that, it is impossible for those drivers
>to be loaded. because it is not even installed.
>
>DK

I thought of that, but if it doesn't find the nv or ati on those machines,
would it fallback to vesa, and do it at better than 800x600?  That is at best
a fuggly screen, redefining fuzz to a whole new level.

And since it rewrote everything that resembles an xorg.conf on the 8.04
machine, how would I go about restoring the defaults when it has no clue
about the monitor?  Its a Samsung tv, hidef lcd 22" whose tuner has gone
funkity, but the pc socket works great?  Rename them all to variations of
"not-samsung.conf.date" and restart?

This would be a whole lot easier if I reset init to 3, so a failed startx
doesn't hammer around for 3 minutes before it gives up.

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Confess your sins to the Lord and you will be forgiven;
confess them to man and you will be laughed at.
		-- Josh Billings