forcing use of vesa driver for x ??

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Oct 10 02:44:54 BST 2009

On Friday 09 October 2009, Steve wrote:
>On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 21:56:07 +0100, Gene Heskett
>
><gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>> On Friday 09 October 2009, David Kuntadi wrote:
>>> On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 12:25 AM, Gene Heskett
>>> <gene.heskett at verizon.net>

>>> I suggest just to remove whatever driver you does not want, and then
>>> rewrite xorg.conf. By doing that, it is impossible for those drivers
>>> to be loaded. because it is not even installed.
>>>
>>> DK
>>
>> I thought of that, but if it doesn't find the nv or ati on those
>> machines,
>> would it fallback to vesa, and do it at better than 800x600?  That is at
>> best
>> a fuggly screen, redefining fuzz to a whole new level.
>>
>> And since it rewrote everything that resembles an xorg.conf on the 8.04
>> machine, how would I go about restoring the defaults when it has no clue
>> about the monitor?  Its a Samsung tv, hidef lcd 22" whose tuner has gone
>> funkity, but the pc socket works great?  Rename them all to variations of
>> "not-samsung.conf.date" and restart?
>>
>> This would be a whole lot easier if I reset init to 3, so a failed startx
>> doesn't hammer around for 3 minutes before it gives up.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>Could you write protect xorg.conf, once you've got it working properly.

That, and mark it immutable. :)  But its currently washing the roads
(hopefully not out in places) around here, so I'm settled into this chair for
the night.  And I got parts for the bandsaw this 8.04 box is going to run, so
getting those installed and tweaked were on the front burner this afternoon
before it got wet out.

I also posted to the xorg list, but my post seems to have gotten lost
somewhere.

Thanks. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

<markm> c++: the power, elegance and simplicity of a hand grenade