Flashing the bios

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Oct 9 17:54:57 UTC 2009

On Friday 09 October 2009, Ric Moore wrote:
>Does anyone have experience flashing their bios to upgrade it?? Is this
>a dicey proposition using Linux? Inquiring minds want to know. :) Ric

I have several times, but it normally is done from a very elementary floppy
boot, or on more recent motherboards via a flashrom facility built right into
the bios.  For the flashrom stuffs in the bios, put the update on a usb
stick, and the bios utility will find it eventually, give it at least a
minute to scan the system.

If you don't have a UPS on the box, then I'd tend to wait out bad weather
that may take the power down while the update is being written to the
flashrom, which in turn might brick the board.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Charity, n.:
	A thing that begins at home and usually stays there.