Staying with Hardy

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 01:52:50 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 21:45 +0200, Knapp wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 7:48 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:

> > With Karmic I just set the Desktop to use the old style menu and it
> > operates pretty much like KDE3. I have no beef with it now ...other than
> > the old saw about pulseaudio and phoron all heaped between me and alsa.
> > I just unloaded the packages that wouldn't rip out the rest of my
> > install and I'm happy as a clam. Ric
>
> I don't mean to thread jack but what packages are those? I might need
> to know in a month.
>
> Why don't you like Pulseaudio and Phoron (whatever that is)?

I kept having sound stutter problems with OpenGL games, when the system
is being maxed out. Can't have that!! Monsters could sneak up on me and
I wouldn't hear them. Just won't do and isn't Cricket. I just love
Sauerbraten and Warzone2100. Sometimes I just have to blow stuff up.

> Just goggled Phonon, maybe that is why 8.10 can't play my DVDs but 8.04 can?

You need those libdvd* packages, and libdvdcss2 which is in the
Medibuntu repo. Yoho!

> Last time I tried to set KDE4 to use KDE 3 menus it was still short,
> as in did not go from the top to the bottom of my screen. Is it still
> that way?

You can set your toolbar at the top, the bottom or the sides. Like
McDonalds, you can have it your way! Just click on the tool bar and you
can set length, height, etc. Just click around on it and you'll
eventually hit the sweet spot. <grins> Ric