CRT monitors VS Laptop stuff

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 22:50:57 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-05 at 23:28 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2009/10/5 Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net>:
> > Ric Moore wrote:
> >> There has to be some power saving thing going on that ain't right. I
> >> can crank up Sauerbraten and quit, the display is perfect. Nice and
> >> crisp. Then I go into evolution and the display fades, ...just a
> >> touch. Enough to be noticeable. Enough to be irritating.
> >
> > That reminds me of desktop effects, not a power saving thing - because
> > it wouldn't save any power.
> >

> My thoughts exactly: desktop effects, not a screen dimmer. On LCD
> screens there is an actual backlight to dim. Not so on CRTs, where the
> electrons hitting the phosphors make the light. I would have expected
> Gene to mention as much.
>
> Check the desktop effects. And try running an older, stable LiveCD.
> That should help rule out hardware.

OK, went into KDE setup and under "advanced" I found "Power Management"
and several of the levels were set to dim the display after 1 minute of
being idle. I unchecked that box on all the levels. We'll see what
happens.

Sometimes I miss the good ole days when you had to burn a kernel to get
X11 at all. Then someone came up with the bright idea of "modules" and
it all went to heck. <chuckles> Ric