CRT monitors VS Laptop stuff

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 21:28:35 UTC 2009

2009/10/5 Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net>:
> Ric Moore wrote:
>> There has to be some power saving thing going on that ain't right. I
>> can crank up Sauerbraten and quit, the display is perfect. Nice and
>> crisp. Then I go into evolution and the display fades, ...just a
>> touch. Enough to be noticeable. Enough to be irritating.
>
> That reminds me of desktop effects, not a power saving thing - because
> it wouldn't save any power.

My thoughts exactly: desktop effects, not a screen dimmer. On LCD
screens there is an actual backlight to dim. Not so on CRTs, where the
electrons hitting the phosphors make the light. I would have expected
Gene to mention as much.

Check the desktop effects. And try running an older, stable LiveCD.
That should help rule out hardware.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com