How to create a superuser in Kubuntu?

Marcelo Magno T. Sales mmtsales at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 17:54:48 UTC 2009

<mmtsales at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've read some articles about creating superusers in Ubuntu, but
> > all of them rely on an option in Gnome User Manager that allows you
> > to configure an user as an administrator.
> > In KDE User Manager, the available tool in Kubuntu, there is no
> > such an option. How do I create a superuser in Kubuntu?
>
> Well, first of all, you don't need to, since the first user
> automatically has sudo rights.
>
> You can work simply by starting the command line applications with
> 'sudo <command>', it will then ask for your password. The default
> timeout is set to 5 minutes. You can also start a konsole with 'sudo
> -i' to have a permanent root konsole, although this is not
> recommended.
>
> To start GUI applications you start those with 'kdesudo <command>'.
>
> You can find more information about sudo in the manpages.
>
> If you still want to make a root account despite these possibilities,
> the proceedings are exactly the same as for Gnome, since the root
> account is independent of the GUI interface.

Hi, Myriam, thanks for your response.

I know about sudo, but I need two user accounts who are able to
administer this machine. If possible, I would prefer they do not share
one account to perform administrative tasks.
I have also read that I could activate the root account by setting up a
password to it with passwd, but I think that the Ubuntu way (using sudo)
is better.
However, the gnome user manager has an option in the GUI that allows me
to create an user account and set it up as and administrator using only
the GUI, without the need to edit /etc/sudoers directly.
I was wondering if wasn't there a way to do the same with the GUI tools
provided with Kubuntu. I see that, in /etc/sudoers, there is the
following line:
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

My understanding is that members of the admin group are able to
administer the machine using sudo. Is that right? Is it enough to make a
user a member of this group if I want he/she to be able to administer
the machine?

Thanks,

Marcelo