How to create a superuser in Kubuntu?

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kubuntu.org
Mon Oct 5 17:36:36 UTC 2009

Hi Marcelo

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 19:10, Marcelo Magno T. Sales <mmtsales at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've read some articles about creating superusers in Ubuntu, but all of
> them rely on an option in Gnome User Manager that allows you to
> configure an user as an administrator.
> In KDE User Manager, the available tool in Kubuntu, there is no such an
> option. How do I create a superuser in Kubuntu?

Well, first of all, you don't need to, since the first user
automatically has sudo rights.

You can work simply by starting the command line applications with
'sudo <command>', it will then ask for your password. The default
timeout is set to 5 minutes. You can also start a konsole with 'sudo
-i' to have a permanent root konsole, although this is not
recommended.

To start GUI applications you start those with 'kdesudo <command>'.

You can find more information about sudo in the manpages.

If you still want to make a root account despite these possibilities,
the proceedings are exactly the same as for Gnome, since the root
account is independent of the GUI interface.

Regards, Myriam.
http://www.fsfe.org