can I get default email client in command line?

Donatas G. dgvirtual at akl.lt
Tue Nov 24 14:29:45 GMT 2009

On 2009 m. Lapkritis 24 d., antradienis 15:56:02 Alvin wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 November 2009 12:59:40 Donatas G. wrote:
> > I am trying to write a Dolphin service menu that would allow to attach a
> >  file to an email, but with a twist: I want the service menu to be
> >  universal enough to guess which email program the user is using.
> >
> > For that I need to find out how to get the name of the default email
> >  program via shell.
> >
> > Any ideas? Is there any dbus call I could make?
> >
> > If it were just kmail, the desktop file contents would look like this:
> >
> > [...]
> > If I could get the default email program by executing some program in
> >  command line I could proceed...
>
> Take a look at xdg-email (in xdg-utils).

OK, thank you, I see /usr/bin/xdg-email uses kreadconfig tool, but the script
is evidently wrong; upon trying to use it I get an error, and the particular
line

kreadconfig --file emaildefaults --group PROFILE_Default --key EmailClient

produces empty output.

And I could find no clues online on how to use kreadconfig in KDE 4...

I will have to dig deeper.

Donatas