Hello, my friend

Bruce MacArthur bmacasuru at fastmail.us
Sat Nov 14 06:42:25 UTC 2009

On Friday 13 November 2009 11:42:17 pm A.J. Bonnema wrote:
> On 11/14/2009 06:19 AM, Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
> > On 11/13/2009 Bruce MacArthur wrote:
> >
> >>   On Friday 13 November 2009 10:49:50 pm Ric Moore wrote:
> >>   >  >  On Sat, 2009-11-14 at 02:51 +0000, TONY MYNARD wrote:
> >>   >>  >  >  Hello, friend, Recommend you for a store.
> >>   >  >
> >>   >  >  Whatta maroon... I just gave your URL to the CCC.<evil
cackles>
> >>   Ric
> >>
> >>   Yes, Ric.  And "Whatta blue."  And "Whatta pink."  Etc.!!!  Or do
you
> >>   mean "moron"???  Hey, friend, I agree with you -- and
(personally) I
> >>   hope that he gets removed for spamming the list.
> >>

> > You need to know your Warner Brothers cartoons. Bugs Bunny in
particular.

> This is what makes US-speak some times just a little difficult to follow
> from International-English-speak. At least some of the nuances, like
> this one, get lost in the "translation".
>
> Guus Bonnema, Leiden, The Netherlands.

Hello, Guus --

I usually try to be considerate of the many people whose first language
is NOT English.  This is because I speak (foreign!) Spanish, and just a
little bit of Chinese -- and, thus, I respect the numerous difficulties
that either English OR "American" will present to the world at large.

"Maroon" is a color on the brown "side" of red -- or on the red "side"
of brown.  A "moron", on the other hand, is a person who does not have
as much as normal intelligence -- usually (but not quite "always")
understood to be "the capacity to learn intellectually".

If you have "aimed" your comment to the Bugs Bunny remark, I must say
that I myself have missed the point also!  Bugs Bunny was a cartoon
character who always damaged Elmer Fudd's garden by digging for carrots.
Elmer would then try to kill Bugs, but Bugs always found a very
improbable way to escape.  He was popular both on television cartoon
shows for children and in printed comic books.

At least here in the United States -- a LONG time ago -- there were many
jokes that began, "Confucious say, ...".  They attempted to mock the
wisdom in the Analects of Confucious.  The only one that I still recall
declared that "Confucious say -- 'He who laughs last, has to have joke
explained.'"  This is a play on the English-language saying that "He who
laughs last, laughs best."  I must admit that I join you in not quite
understanding the Bugs Bunny remark.  But that is entirely okay!

THANK YOU for the reminder that MOST of the world speaks English either
not at all or else as a foreign language -- and that we who are
privileged to learn it as a first language should respect the challenges
associated with such a difficult language as English is -- and the people
who work so hard to meet and overcome those challenges.