Crashing programs after upgrade to Karmic

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kubuntu.org
Fri Nov 13 10:50:53 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 01:53, Kevin B. O'Brien <nadreck at palain.com> wrote:
> I have upgraded three machines to Kubuntu Karmic, and I have found that
> suddenly I am getting messages about programs crashing on all three
> machines. Is this a case of needing to do a fresh install instead of
> using the upgrade option? Were my programs crashing before and I just
> never knew it? I find it odd that all three machines are doing this, and
> it all happened after the upgrade.

I rather think that it is Apport running wild. I disabled it since it
produces unnecessary noise. The crashes are then detected by Dr.
Konqi, which is much more tolerant with that. It seems Apport pops up
whenever a system process is killed, regardles if it is a crash or
not.

But without telling us what applications crash we can hardly help further.

Regards, Myriam
http://www.fsfe.org