Network connection

Georgi Kourtev gkourtev at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 14:38:44 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 03 November 2009 18:43:51 Tom H wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 6:29 PM, Georgi Kourtev <gkourtev at gmail.com> wrote:
> > As I had problems connecting to wifi networks after the 9.10 upgrade, so
> > I decided to install wicd package.  While installing the KPackage asked
> > me to remove:
> > plasma-widget-networkmanagement
> > plasma-widget-network-manager
> > network-manager
> > network-manager-gnome
> >
> > When this was done, it started to fetch the wicd package and... no
> > network (even wired) is available! Got the same message even when wanted
> > to restore the previous status-quo. Apparently all my network options
> > does not exist now.
> >
> > My question: how can I enable at least my wired network access to install
> > packages? If not possible, is there any other way?
>
> Stop wicd
> # invoke-rc.d wicd stop
>
> Edit /etc/network/interfaces
> (assuming that your wired NIC is eth0 and that you are using dhcp)
> # cat /etc/network/interfaces
> auto lo
> iface lo inet dhcp
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> Start networking
> # ifup eth0

My struggle to connect continues.  I followed Tom's instructions and got
connected vie cable. Then installed network-manager (as well as all 4 packages
suggested by KPackage).

Now:

1. I cannot connect via cable. When I click on the network icon it says
'ifupdown (eth0)'.
2. It does not connect to any wireless network (both secure and unsecured).

Please help as without connection I have to use cell phone instead...
gk