anyone using SiS graphics?

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Nov 3 10:52:01 UTC 2009

O. Sinclair wrote:
> Got a desktop with SiS chip built-in graphics (more than one I am
> afraid). Worked OK on 8.04, decided to put 9.10 Karmic.

> Anyone has SiS and got any clues? I have scouted around on the net a
> bit but not found much else but frustration.

I have an old laptop with SiS 630/730 graphics - that one works with the
built-in 1024x768 display out of the box. But I know someone else with a
SiS 671/771 chipset and 1280x800 display which has no current driver. It
really depends on you graphics chipset if it works. What is your
chipset? You can find it out with the command

lspci

in a terminal. At [1] I found the driver for SiS 671/771 and Ubuntu
9.04. Maybe there will come a driver for 9.10 also?

Anyway, if you have a choice, avoid SiS - they don't seem to support
Linux.

Nils

[1] <http://ncc-1701a.homelinux.net/~linux-sis/index.php?page=Downloads>