Doing a clean install

Hein hvralpha at intekom.co.za
Tue Nov 3 06:40:45 UTC 2009

Nigel,

You can see the details of all your disks and where they are mounted by
printing the /etc/fstab file.

Or install du  and run the command in  terminal and print.

When I do a clean install, I backup my visible files in /home ( docs, music,
etc), and the data files under .kde ( hidden files under .kde/share/apps) which
is the mail directory, contacts ( std.vcf), schedule ( std.ics). I also leave
them in my /home directory to ease installation and not copy gb's of data.Make
sure you can see the hidden files every time to ensure you are copying
everything required especially in the mail directory.

I delete all other files in my home directory (normal and hidden) because it
contains some old configuration data which is not replaced when a new
installation is done. That is the way I do it to avoid a /home format. If you
can backup all your data files and format it is probably still the best.

However, you need to determine which of the visible files and hidden files you
need to keep which is undoubtably different from mine to ensure you do not
loose any data you would like to keep.

A clean install is always better than a upgrade in my opinion and as shown by
most of the comments on the list regarding things not working.
9.10 is great and works really well in my small network of 8 computers.

Hein