9.10: No java?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 02:53:30 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 00:08 +0100, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> On Saturday 31 October 2009 22:55:30 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Even after installing sun-java6-plugin and sun-java6-jre neither
> > java.com nor Open Office seem to notice that I have Java
> >  installed.
> >
> > karmic1 at kubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin
> >  sun-java6-jre [sudo] password for karmic1:
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > sun-java6-plugin is already the newest version.
> > sun-java6-jre is already the newest version.
> > 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> > karmic1 at kubuntu:~$
> >
> > Do I need to install anything else? Soft link? This is on Kubuntu
> > 9.10, no additional sources added to apt.
>
> Maybe the java version from karmic isn't the newest one. I had the
> same issue when checking with www.sun.com which told me that I did
> not have the latest version. So I installed the one from Sun and now
> it is recognized and works just fine.
>
> After that installation (running a script in the supplied tarfile)
> one has to manually symlink to the various plugins-directories,
> like:
> libjavaplugin_oji.so ->
> /usr/java/jre1.6.0_16/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>
> which also tells us that the newest version is 1.6.0_16

I use Synaptic and the first time you install the Sun-Java package you
have to have the window open watching the install process to even see it
ask you if you accept or decline the license. Maybe you didn't catch
that and it accepted a null response as "declined"?? Tricky bit and easy
to miss. Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987